USA Pickleball’s High School Grant Program will provide current USA Pickleball members a maximum of $350 reimbursement for the purchase of qualified start-up pickleball equipment for regular high school physical education classes and after school programs.
- You must be a current USA Pickleball member 18 years of age or older. If you are not a USA Pickleball member, CLICK HERE.
- Your designated school location must be listed in “Places 2 Play” at the time the grant application is submitted.
- You are limited to one grant per location (lifetime).
- A named PE teacher or equivalent person must participate in the start up program.
- You must agree to the terms and conditions set forth in the USA Pickleball High School Grant Program. See Terms and Conditions below.
List of qualified pickleball equipment eligible for reimbursement:
- USA Pickleball Portable pickleball net(s) purchased from USA Pickleball
- Up to (24) paddles costing less than $20 each
- Up to (24) pickleballs
- Markers for court lines (painter’s tape, chalk, etc. or equivalent products; this line item may not exceed $75)
- One (1) USA Pickleball/IFP rulebook
- One (1) Pickleball Fundamentals (instructional book by USA Pickleball with Mary Littlewood; Year 2015)
- Up to 3 Ball Holders (pole mounted or other approved safety product)
Award consideration will be given to locations with:
- Schools and districts where pickleball is being introduced into the physical education curriculum.
- Schools that USA Pickleball deems most in need of financial assistance.
- A summary of the training program per question #12 of the grant application.
- A USA Pickleball Ambassador or local pickleball club is sponsoring the grant.
Grant Administrative Details:
- Grants will generally be reviewed for approval on a first-come first-served basis until the regional grant funding for the current calendar year is exhausted.
- The maximum reimbursement to any one location is $350.
- Grant reimbursements will only be valid for 90 days from the date of the award letter.
- If funds are exhausted in any region, at USA Pickleball discretion, the application may stay open until the 4th quarter for available funding from other USA Pickleball regions.
- Other Frequently Asked Questions are listed below.
BONUS Wood Paddle Program: Approved grant applicants may choose to participate in the wood paddle donation program made available by Pickle-ball, Inc. as a courtesy to USA Pickleball. The request can be made at the time of application. Applicants are given a choice of 1) A MAXIMUM of 4 WOOD PADDLES and 2 BALLS or 2) a TOTAL of 8 WOOD PADDLES. Please do NOT rely on this donor program for your startup as the USA Pickleball has no control of the shipment or whether the wood paddles become unavailable.
By accepting a USA Pickleball High School Grant, you agree to the terms and conditions set forth below.
- Grant approvals are made on reimbursement basis only. Within ninety (90) days following grant approval, you must send a copy of your receipt(s) and the award letter to the USA Pickleball Finance Department for your grant to become valid and effective. The receipt(s) should clearly show the person or organization that paid for the equipment, product(s) purchased, the cost of each product and total amount. The grant number must be clearly identified when submitting receipts for reimbursement. Please identify the mailing address for the reimbursement check if different than the grant approval letter. Note: Portable nets must be purchased from USA Pickleball to be reimbursable.
- The grant is to be used solely for the project as described in your Grant Application.
- Your pickleball program must adhere to all USA Pickleball rules and standards.
- You agree, as grant awardee, to update the Official USA Pickleball Places 2 Play grant location listing a minimum of every six months. The grant location will be audited in one year. If not compliant, a notice will be sent with a “CC” to the local USA Pickleball Regional Director.
- You will encourage all student players in your pickleball program to become familiar with the USA Pickleball organization and website.
- By accepting this grant, you agree that USA Pickleball and its authorized vendors and contractors may use photographs, logos, published/printed information, and any other materials you supply us, without further notice, in our press releases, electronic or printed publications. Note: USA Pickleball will NOT publish any student photos without parental consent.
- The decisions of USA Pickleball on matters involving the High School Grant Program are final, binding and not appealable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are the grants only available for new locations? The USA Pickleball High School Grant program is designed to help members establish new pickleball programs in high school physical education (PE) classes and after school programs. Our limited funds do not allow us to support existing school programs. Once established, groups should depend on their PE funding sources to finance growth.
How can I list the school on the USA Pickleball Places 2 Play website when I do not have a net? You must list the new location with the anticipated start date and startup details. If your new program is dependent on grant approval, please include in your listing’s Comment section: “USA Pickleball Grant applied for—we hope to start offering pickleball at this location soon.”
Schools can state the pickleball location is restricted to students and staff. This is an example of a possible school listing:
“Comment: Facilities are open only to the staff and students of the school. This posting is a promo to the parents in the locality for their kids to try out the fun game of PICKLEBALL.”
USA Pickleball cannot issue an award for any location not listed on Places 2 Play.
Why does a school location need to be listed on Places 2 Play? (P2P) USA Pickleball utilizes P2P as the central location to tabulate player usage information, and players utilize the listing to locate playing locations. Parents and students can search by city on P2P to locate the best available pickleball playing location.
How do I add the new site to USA Pickleball’s Places 2 Play listing? See the Places 2 Play Help Guide.
Can I submit receipts for equipment purchased prior to the grant being awarded? USA Pickleball will honor receipts for reimbursement of equipment purchased up to 90 days prior to the grant being approved. Be aware that not every grant application is approved and only nets purchased through USA Pickleball are reimbursable.
Why is the High School Grant program limited to the United States? Due to budget constraints, the USA Pickleball Board decided that available funds could be more effectively used in the United States.
Are public and private schools eligible for a High School Grant? All public and private high schools are eligible.
Why focus only on high school physical education programs? The primary goal of the High School Grant Program is to increase awareness of the sport of pickleball as a mainstream physical education sport, and the limited available funding compels USA Pickleball to focus on high school sports programs.
Why focus on USA Pickleball regions instead of school needs when considering the distribution of the school grants? USA Pickleball would like to distribute available funds equally throughout the United States. A method of equal funds distribution would be to first allocate the funds by region then look at school needs.
Is a school limited to one grant? Yes. The mission of the grant program is to introduce pickleball into the school system. Once introduced into the school it would be the school’s responsibility to invest in the sport.
Can a school apply for both a Community Grant and a High School Grant? No. A high school grant and a community grant are each considered a grant. USA Pickleball policy allows only one grant per location (lifetime).
How does USA Pickleball expect the pickleball equipment to be used? USA Pickleball expects the equipment to be fully utilized for PE classes or after-school activities. However, each school will need to determine how to best use the equipment to introduce the sport of pickleball to its students.
How do we deal with student privacy issues? Schools have policies in place regarding taking photos of students and the release of student information. USA Pickleball will not post any pictures of youth under 18 without written consent of the parent.
When will I receive the wood paddles? The net distributor donates the wood paddles as a goodwill gesture to USA Pickleball. The donated wood paddles usually take two or three weeks for delivery. Sometimes the shipments are delayed due to wood paddle unavailability. Because USA Pickleball does not directly participate in the paddle donation process, it cannot expedite the shipments. Please do NOT rely on this wood paddle donor program for your startup.
Can I make a tax deductible donation specifically to the USA Pickleball High School Grant Program? Yes. Donations to USA Pickleball may be earmarked for the High School Grant Program and qualify as a contribution to a charitable 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation to the extent allowed by law.
The USA Pickleball grant committee is proud to share the ongoing results of grant programs and highlight the contributions of our grant corporate sponsors. The grant programs continue to facilitate the advancement and growth of pickleball in our local communities. The grant reimbursement program allows communities and high schools to invest in the sport of pickleball. USA Pickleball members, through membership activities and events, pick up the cost of the new location’s first net and startup equipment. Click here for the Grant Impact page.