A different way of playing pickleball
Experienced by Bob Nibarger, USAPA Communications Chair
While playing pickleball in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, last month I had an opportunity to play 6 person pickleball. A member of the Pebble Creek AZ club shared the idea during one of the clinics. The game is fast paced and could enhance your pickleball program. Here are the basics of the game.
Pickleball 6 Player Teams
Six player teams is the perfect way to do a “mixer” and get your event going. The pace is fast and exciting and, oh yes, it gives our sport a chance to experience cheerleaders like other competitive sports. The nice part is that you only need one court to fit in 12 players.
Here is the basic shell
- Divide your players into two 6 member teams
- Appoint a team captain – who makes rapid substitutions
- Designate which players will be offense and defense to start
- Team A sends in two offensive players
- Team B sends in two defensive players
- Team A serves and plays until side out
- Upon side out, 4 new offense/defense players rush into the game from both teams and continues play until side out – then repeat subs
- Game continues with rapid substitutions until team earns 11 points
Team members waiting to play cheer, cheer and cheer their players, trash talking is accepted…..keep it clean, however….
Important Note: Each offensive player can only earn two points. As soon as they get their two offensive points, they are out of the game. This way every team player must earn points for their team. First team to 11 wins.
I am sure your club will enjoy a change of pace and this activity is an excellent mixer to get your members engaged in a team spirit.
Ambassador Team Updates for USA Pickleball On behalf of USA Pickleball and the Regional Leadership…
Article By: Kai Beech, National Correspondent for E.W. Scripps. Playing sports while obeying safety protocols,…
As an organization, USA Pickleball is thrilled to have an opportunity to spotlight players from…
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Laura Gainor – (704) 941-4191 mediarelations@USAPickleball.org USA Pickleball Media Relations __________…