It was an exciting morning for pickleball enthusiasts as word spread that our sport was officially added as a workout option with the Apple watchOS 7 update!
This is a big deal and across social media you can tell by the excitement of our players that this addition to our watches means Pickleball has received more recognition across the world!
“No more using badminton as the workout choice” was commented numerous times online by regular players that use their Apple Watch to track their daily workouts.
Apple announced numerous fitness enhancements to their app for both adults and children. Including additional workouts like dancing, move minutes for kids instead of calories, and options to track your sleep.
The health benefits of living an active lifestyle by playing pickleball are some of the top reasons why the sport is growing so much across the United States with the latest U.S. participant figure at almost 3.5 million players (source: Sports Fitness Industry Association). People of all ages are able to play the game and stay active as a family. In a survey earlier this year, 84% of the respondents indicated that pickleball has had a significant and positive impact on their health & well-being.
Many players record themselves burning between 600-1,000 calories in a one-to-two hour playing period. Such as the NBA referees currently playing in the NBA Bubble in Orlando, Florida.
“[Tyler] Ford (NBA referee) said he has burned 1,500 calories in a three-hour session with temperatures reaching 90 degrees.” as quoted by the Washington Post.
HOW TO GET THE PICKLEBALL WORKOUT OPTION ADDED TO YOUR APPLE WATCH:
- Update to watchOS 7 by accessing the iOS Watch app and navigating to General then Software Update
- * watchOS 7 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models: Apple Watch Series 3 or above.
- Once updated, go to the “Workout” app on your watch
- Scroll to the bottom of the workouts and click “Add Workout”
- Search for “Pickleball” within the alphabetized workouts!
- Start tracking your pickleball workout and have fun!
SHARE YOUR PICKLEBALL WORKOUTS WITH @USAPICKLEBALL!
We’d love to see your Pickleball workouts! Tag us in your activity posts on Instagram by tagging @USAPickleball + #USAPickleball. Enjoy your pickleball daily workouts!