2021 Participation Requirements & Pre-Registration Opportunities for the USA Pickleball National Championships
2021 Participation Requirements:
To participate in the 2021 USA Pickleball National Championships at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, all participants must:
• Participate in a USA Pickleball Regional Tournament or a USA Pickleball National Qualifier between July 15, 2020, and July 15, 2021 (scroll to the bottom of this page for the current list of 2021 qualifying tournaments). While players can earn pre-registration status by winning a gold medal (skill/age) or gold/silver/bronze (Open/Sr. Open), the USA Pickleball National Championships DO NOT count as a qualifier for upcoming USA Pickleball National Championships. All players earning pre-registration status at 2019 Nationals MUST also play in at least one of the national qualifying tournaments (see list below) to be eligible for the 2021 National Championships.
• Open event entrants must have a minimum of a 5.5 USAPA Tournament Player Rating (UTPR) by July 15, 2021. Events may be available to 5.0 UTPR rated players, depending on participation levels in each Open event.
• Sr Open event entrants must have a minimum of 5.0 USAPA Tournament Player Rating (UTPR) by July 15, 2021. Events may be available to 4.5 UTPR rated players, depending on participation levels in each Sr Open event.
2021 Pre-Registration Opportunities:
Pre-Registration is available to the following:
• All Medalists from the 2019 USA Pickleball National Championship Open & Sr. Open (50+ & 65+).
• All Gold Medalists in any age/skill event from the 2019 USA Pickleball National Championships.
• All Gold Medalists in an Open/Pro bracket from a National Qualifier between July 15, 2019 and July 15, 2021. In the event that brackets are combined, medals may be issued to category winners but pre-registration opportunities for 2021 Nationals are only to the combined bracket winners.
• All Gold Medalists at any USA Pickleball Regional Tournament held between *July 15, 2019, and July 15, 2021. In the event that brackets are combined, medals may be issued to category winners but pre-registration opportunities for 2021 Nationals are only to the combined bracket winners.
• Players with pre-registration invitations will be limited to one event of the same type per Gold Medal. For example, if a player wins a Gold at the Great Lakes Regional in ladies doubles, that player will receive a pre-registration opportunity for ladies’ doubles (Note: it does not have to be the same skill or age).
• Players with pre-registration invitations must meet the participation requirements listed in ‘Tournament Details’ above.
• Players with pre-registration entry will receive an invitation before July 15 and must accept and register by July 25.
• Partners of players with pre-registration opportunities who have not met participation criteria may not pre-register.
• The UTPR in effect at the time the player registers for the 2021 National Championships WILL BE USED. Despite the automatic UTPR update scheduled for Oct 1, UTPRs for players registered in the National Championships will be the same UTPR the player had at the time they registered. Players may appeal UTPR’s to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to registration closing. Any appeal would apply to your partner as well. Therefore, if you appeal, your partner has to be eligible to still play with you as a result of that appeal. The tournament director reserves the right to approve the appeal decision by the USA Pickleball ratings admin.
• With the lottery system in effect, players are to have paid and be registered with paid partners by 8/7/2021. Registration will be open from 8/1 – 8/7 and then a lottery will be drawn approximately 8/8 with players being notified by 8/22 if they are in the tournament. Any spots left after the lottery will be given priority based on being registered and paid with a registered and paid partner.
USA PICKLEBALL REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
All Gold Medalists at any USA Pickleball Regional Tournament held between July 15, 2019, and July 15, 2021 earn pre-registration opportunities.
- Great Lakes Regional June 28 – 30, 2019 (Kalamazoo, MI)
- Middle States Regional August 1 – 4, 2019 (Lakeville, MN)
- Atlantic South Regional August 23 – 25, 2019 (Foley, AL)
- Great Plains Regional September 5 – 8, 2019 (Colorado Springs, CO)
- Pacific NW Regional September 5 – 8, 2019 (Beaverton, OR)
- West Regional September 18 – 22, 2019 (Fountain Valley, CA)
- Mid Atlantic Regional September 20 – 22, 2019 (Myrtle Beach, SC)
- Southwest Regional January 8 – 12, 2020 (Surprise, AZ)
- Mid-South Regional March 12 – 16, 2020 (College Station, TX)
To qualify for participation in the 2021 Nationals, players in the ABOVE Regional Tournaments must also participate in a USA Pickleball Regional Tournament or a USA Pickleball National Qualifier between July 15, 2020, and July 15, 2021.
The following Regional Tournaments earn pre-registration opportunities AND meet the 2021 participation requirements.
- Mid-Atlantic Regional September 24 – 27, 2020 (Myrtle Beach, SC)
- Southwest Regional March 16 – 21, 2021 (Mesa, AZ)
- West Regional May 1 – 7, 2021 (Fountain Hills, CA)
- Atlantic South May 6 – 9, 2021 (Foley, AL)
- Mountain May 17 – 24, 2021 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Middle States Regional May 27 – 30, 2021 (St Louis, MO)
- Pacific NW Regional June 2 – 5, 2021 (Boise, ID)
- Great Lakes Regional June 17 – 20, 2021 (Fort Wayne, IN)
- Great Plains Regional June 23 – 28, 2021 (Colorado Springs, CO)
- Atlantic Regional – June 25 – 27, 2021 (Portland, ME)
**also earning preregistration opportunities from National Qualifying tournaments offering open/pro brackets:
- Golden State Championships July 25 – 28, 2019 (Concord, CA)
- Tournament of Champions August 21 – 24, 2019 (Brigham City, UT)
- Texas Open September 12 – 15, 2019 (Coppell, TX)
- Las Vegas Open September 24 – 28, 2019 (Las Vegas, NV)
2021 USA PICKLEBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS QUALIFIERS (July 15, 2020 – July 15, 2021)
2020 QUALIFIERS For 2021 National Tournament
- Tournament of Champions August 18 – 23, 2020 (Brigham City, UT)
- Atlanta Open September 11 – 13, 2020 (Alpharetta, GA)
- Las Vegas Pickleball Open September 22 - 27, 2020 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Texas Open October 1 - 5, 2020 (Dallas, TX)
- Fall Brawl October 6 – 10, 2020 (St George, UT)
2021 QUALIFIERS For 2021 National Tournament
- Tommy Wong January 7 – 11, 2021 (Surprise, AZ)
- Winter Classic January 29 – 31, 2021 (Naples, FL)
- California Open March 5 - 7, 2021 (Newport Beach, CA)
- Beer City Open July 8 – 11, 2021 (Grand Rapids, MI)
Additional qualifying tournaments are in process of finalizing their dates and will be added soon
Pre-registration opportunities AND Qualifier:
- USA Pickleball National Indoor Tournament June 8 – 13, 2021 (Hoover, AL)
Cancellation Policy: Players who were registered to play in any of the above events and were unable to play due to inclement weather or cancellations due to COVID restrictions, USA Pickleball will honor this as meeting the participation qualification.