Terms of Understanding and Agreement
Thank you for your interest in renewing your USA Pickleball referee certification. The window for credential renewal opens 90 days prior to the expiration of your current credentials. You may submit your renewal application anytime after the window opens; however, your application should be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to credential expiration. Certified referees with credentials that have been expired for more than 90 days will be automatically retired from the certified referee program.
Before submitting your application, please ensure that you have successfully met the following prerequisites:
- You must be a current USA Pickleball member in good standing.
- You must have achieved passing scores on both the USA Pickleball Referee Test and Line Judge Test within 30 days of submitting this application.
- You must take the Referee Certification Renewal Test. (You will receive a reminder notice with a link to the test when your renewal window opens.)
- You must meet a 20/30 vision acuity requirement.
To complete this application, you will need to list:
- USA Pickleball-sanctioned and non-sanctioned tournaments at which you have refereed during the previous 12 months and an estimate of the number of matches for each, as well as an estimate of the number of matches with line judges.
- Names of referees you have mentored during the previous 12 months, along with locations and dates.
- Other pickleball-related activities in which you have been involved (other than playing) during the previous 12 months (e.g., referee trainer or assistant, referee coordinator, committee member).
The Renewal Process
- The basic renewal fee is $20.
- Your application will be reviewed and verified for accuracy. Inaccuracies may subject the application to not be approved.
- If you have been the subject of substantiated complaint(s) relating to your refereeing duties, depending upon the severity and potential impact on USA Pickleball and the Referee Program, your application may subject to non-approval.
- An on-court evaluation may be required if your compliance with USA Pickleball/IFP refereeing best practices has not been recently observed and verified by a USA Pickleball certified referee evaluator. A $75 fee will be required for the evaluation.
- Once the prerequisites have been validated, you will be emailed a payment link to pay all fees. You will be notified at that time if an on-court evaluation is required. Fees can be paid using PayPal or a credit card.
- If an on-court evaluation must be scheduled, a schedule of upcoming on-court evaluation venues and dates will be emailed to you. Scheduling for each venue is done strictly on a first-to-respond basis.
- Upon approval for certification renewal, a new USA Pickleball certified referee photo ID badge will be mailed to you. Your certification will expire in three years.
As a USA Pickleball Certified Referee, you agree to perform officiating duties in accordance with the refereeing best practices contained in the USA Pickleball Officiating Handbook. Non-compliance will result in disciplinary action, up to de-certification.