- A ball hit in the air before it bounces onto the court during a rally.
- It is often used when at the NVZ line to return a ball hit hard and low over the net.
- May be hit forehand or backhand; backhand is more common.
- No backswing -- hit in a blocking motion with the paddle face square (vertical) to “push” the ball over the net.
- Hit away from your opponent to make him/her reach.
- To hit the ball deeper, open the paddle face slightly to give the volley a little more loft.
Pickleball Channel 411 Improving Volleying (Scott Moore)